Thursday's announcements come as technology companies prepare for the holiday shopping season. Apple is also believed to be working on its own smartwatch, and could announce at a
Smartwatches are another product they can offer since many people already have smartphones and tablet computers. But companies have yet to make a strong case for why everyday consumers need one, especially when so far smartwatches have had little functionality without a phone nearby.
Samsung's new Gear S, the company's fourth major smartwatch in a year, will have 3G cellular connectivity so that it can receive notifications directly from social networks, calendars and other apps. The Gear S promises to offer turn-by-turn walking directions using mapping data from
For this watch,
Samsung also unveiled a headset called
Both products will be available starting in October, though the company didn't say whether they will be available in the U.S. then. Prices weren't announced.
Motorola also is expected to come out with a round-face smartwatch soon, the Moto 360, that uses Android Wear.
Most Popular Stories
- Consumer Prices Edge Up, Surprising Economists
- Steris to Add 100 Jobs in Birmingham
- Clinton Rallies New England Women
- Market Jolt Offers a Reality Check for Investors
- Stocks Close Out Best Week in Nearly 2 Years
- Do Voters Want Compromise?
- Timeline for New York Ebola Doctor
- Microsoft Earnings Drive Stocks Higher
- Ebola in New York, Mali Raises Travel Jitters
- 'Kissing Congressman' Admits Mistake in Reelection Bid