German unemployment unexpectedly rose in August as the euro zone's largest economy continued to show signs of strain. The number of people out of work climbed a seasonally adjusted 2,000 to 2.901 million in August, official data showed.
Meanwhile, euro zone economic confidence weakened more-than-expected in August to its lowest level in eight months.
The economic confidence index fell to 100.6 in August, the lowest score since December, from 102.1 in July, the
The German DAX lost 1.27% and the French CAC 40 dropped 0.7%. The
Meanwhile, Draegerwerk picked up 2.5% after Berenberg raised the stock to "Buy" from "Hold."
The US economy expanded faster during the second quarter than people had previously estimated, according to updated government statistics released on Thursday.
Revised figures announced by the
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry
- Petri Likely Broke House Ethics Rules
- California's Ban on Plastic Bags: What Now?
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment
- Exxon Gives Nod to Fracking Risks
- Morgan: 'Can't Believe' Wal-Mart Blaming Him
- Can You Be Fired for Using Medical Marijuana?
- Wealth Gap Widens as Rich Spend More on Kids' Education
- Lack of Sea Ice Brings 35,000 Walruses Ashore