News Column

Researchers from IMEC Report on Findings in Circuits and Signal Processing (DIFFS: A Low Power, Multi-Mode, Multi-Standard Flexible Digital Front-End...

September 3, 2014



Researchers from IMEC Report on Findings in Circuits and Signal Processing (DIFFS: A Low Power, Multi-Mode, Multi-Standard Flexible Digital Front-End for Sensing in Future Cognitive Radios)

By a News Reporter-Staff News Editor at Electronics Newsweekly -- New research on Circuits and Signal Processing is the subject of a report. According to news reporting from Leuven, Belgium, by VerticalNews journalists, research stated, "Cognitive Radios provide communication devices with the flexibility to adjust to varying network and channel conditions. For this to be fully realizable spectrum sensing and signal reception have to happen simultaneously and have to require as little power as necessary to function in handheld devices."

The news correspondents obtained a quote from the research from IMEC, "This work argues for the need of flexible digital-front ends as indispensable building block, able to perform control operations over the analog front-end and to perform sensing and synchronization procedures without the need of power consuming baseband processors. A low power, reconfigurable digital front-end that supports concurrent synchronization and sensing of high-throughput wireless standards is presented. Multiple operating modes, useful for various communication standards, such as LTE, WLAN and DVB-T are introduced and analyzed. The digital front-end has been implemented in 65 nm CMOS technology resulting in a chip area of 6.4 mm2. Fine grain clock gating allows synchronization at 4 mW and sensing at 7 mW power consumption. Experiments in combination with a reconfigurable analog front-end show that a 1.7 GHz wide frequency band can be scanned based on energy detection in an exceptionally low time window of 10 ms while consuming 13 mW power and that coarse energy detection can speed-up the sensing process. Furthermore, advanced feature detection for DVB-T and LTE signals is implemented and measured. Low power sensing of DVB-T signals shows that a target false alarm rate of 10 % and a detection probability of 90 % at an input power level of-106 dBm while consuming 7 mW power are possible."

According to the news reporters, the research concluded: "Synchronization-aided FFT-based LTE sensing with leakage cancellation was experimentally validated for various bandwidths showing a power consumption of maximum 20 mW."

For more information on this research see: DIFFS: A Low Power, Multi-Mode, Multi-Standard Flexible Digital Front-End for Sensing in Future Cognitive Radios. Journal of Signal Processing Systems for Signal Image and Video Technology, 2014;76(2):109-120. Journal of Signal Processing Systems for Signal Image and Video Technology can be contacted at: Springer, 233 Spring St, New York, NY 10013, USA.

Our news journalists report that additional information may be obtained by contacting A. Chiumento, IMEC, Green Radio Program, Leuven, Belgium. Additional authors for this research include L. Hollevoet, S. Pollin, F. Naessens, A. Dejonghe and L. Van der Perre.

Keywords for this news article include: Leuven, Europe, Belgium, Circuits and Signal Processing

Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC


For more stories covering the world of technology, please see HispanicBusiness' Tech Channel



Source: Electronics Newsweekly


Story Tools






HispanicBusiness.com Facebook Linkedin Twitter RSS Feed Email Alerts & Newsletters