The new iPad will have a screen measuring 12.9 inches diagonally, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the details aren't public. Apple currently produces iPads with 9.7-inch and 7.9-inch displays. The
Apple chief executive officer
Apple is also increasing the screen size of the iPhone, people with knowledge of the plans have said. The company is holding an event on
Shares of South Korea's
Apple is working on a bigger-screen iPad even as much of the growth in tablets has recently come from low-end, smaller-screen models. That helped
Potential customers for larger-screen iPads are businesses, where the device could take on more tasks of a traditional laptop computer. In July, Apple unveiled a partnership with
Jitesh Ubrani, an analyst at researcher IDC, said while tablet sales growth has slowed, he projects businesses, schools and governments will become bigger buyers of the devices. Those groups accounted for 16 per cent of tablet sales in the second quarter this year, up from 13 per cent a year earlier, he estimated.
"We're expecting larger tablets to do better" in the enterprise market, Ubrani said in an interview.
Most Popular Stories
- Cedeno Named USHCC Businessman of the Year
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Parameters Being Drawn for IS Action
- Can Kobach Keep Taylor's Name on Ballot?
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Aaron Hernandez: I Felt Helpless to Refuse Police
- Anheuser-Busch, Visa Voice NFL Disapproval
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006
- Two-thirds of Hispanics Doubt Media Accuracy