To help the campus community remain safe, both on and off campus, the University of
With the app, people can create an online safety network where they can check in with family, friends and
With the app people can:
* Set a safety timer to notify people they trust to check in on them when they are alone or in an unfamiliar place. They can activate the timer to alert Public Safety and any other designated friends or family members if the timer isn't turned off within the set timeframe;
* Invite family members, friends or other people they trust to be Guardians, and communicate with them within the app, much the way people already do with their cell phone contact list;
* Call UNC Public Safety directly for help if they are in trouble, and send text tips - including photos - if they see something suspicious; and
* Link directly to a Smart911 safety profile they create; each profile contains information including residence details (both home and campus), medical conditions and more. The profiles are displayed to UNC Public Safety officers or to Smart911-enabled 911 centers nationwide when individuals call 911 from off campus.
Carolina is the first college or university in
The University has used other Rave Mobile Safety products for several years. Rave Alert sends text messages and emails through Alert Carolina; Rave Guardian allows people to create an online safety network; and Smart911 allows faculty, staff and students to create their safety profiles.
Learn more about the new Rave Guardian safety app at http://raveguardian.unc.edu/.
TNS 30TagarumaMar-140827-4838909 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays