At a press briefing held in
"The NIBSS has since
SBH is an
The institution had been at the forefront of enforcing the Stamp Duty Act 2004 and NIPOST Act 2004, while implementing the N50 stamping policy on all banking transaction receipts in form of electronic money transfers and manual banking tellers with values of N1,000 and above, through the instrument of a Masters Services Agreement granted it by the Nigerian Postal Services (NIPOST).
Under the arrangement, SBH as the project consultant is expected to create over 300,000 jobs and rollout with an immediate engagement of 100,000 young graduates on its 'em-Bankers' programme. Also, ex-bankers that were recently disengaged from the banking industry would be absorbed to lead the re-skilling of young em-Bankers in a "shadow-banking" model across the country.
However, several months after the agreement between NIPOST and SBH was signed, the project take-off has been delayed by non-release of a circular by the CBN to back-up its approval letters to SBH, as Master Services Agent of NIPOST, for all banks and other financial institutions to comply with the Stamp Duties Act, which stipulates in Section 89(2) that "every receipt given by any person in acknowledgement of goods purchased or services rendered should be denoted by an adhesive postage stamp worth N50 issued by NIPOST."
According to Adekoya, while the compliance circular by the CBN to the banks is being awaited, the federation account is deliberately being denied an annual injection of over N2 trillion since the said amount is being deducted by NIBSS on all e-Banking transactions.
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World