More than 40 paintings, drawings and birthday cards by
In May it was announced that Freud's estate had offered the 15 oil paintings and 29 works on paper by Auerbach, one of
Because the bequest is so large and valuable it is being split up with museums and galleries now bidding for different works and groupings of works. Before that happens all the works are being displayed together at Tate Britain.
They include drawings from Auerbach's student days, thickly textured portraits, vibrant landscapes of
"The latter are particularly poignant," said Tate Britain curator
One card is a drawing of a well-known photograph that was taken of the two men in 2002 having breakfast at the
Freud did collect art - a Corot he owned is now at the
Auerbach was born in
The display at Tate Britain includes very early life drawings from the late 1940s when Auerbach studied at
Crippa said there was something particularly thrilling about seeing the artist's works in the flesh. "There is something about Auerbach, his work does not reproduce - there is something so wonderfully tactile and you truly need to experience it. To have a chance to see such a wonderful range of works, really important works from different moments in his career, is just extraordinary."
The display comes in advance of a retrospective of the 83-year-old artist's work at Tate Britain in 2015.
Most Popular Stories
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Volatility No Reason to Bail on Stock Market
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Disney's Animated Feature 'Moana' Slated for 2016 Release
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls
- Samsung Phones Cleared For U.S. Government Use
- Cuba Deploys More Medicos in Ebola Fight