"We love music and we love television and nowhere do those two combine better than in a show's theme song," said Emmys host
"And while themes today are better than ever, we miss the day when they had accompanying lyrics that explained the show's plot," added
The former Saturday Night Live co-stars then introduced Yankovic who -- along with an ensemble of backup singers and dancers -- explained in song the story lines of Mad Men, Modern Family, Scandal and Homeland.
Yankovic wrapped up the musical number with a salute to the notoriously bloody Game of Thrones, singing: "Don't get too attached to a certain guy. He might drink some poison wine," while the chorus warned him: "That's a spoiler! That's a spoiler!"
Yankovic also urged
A typewriter was then placed on Martin's lap while he sat in the audience and he gamely pounded on the keys.
Most Popular Stories
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Eric Garcia Appointed as Revenue Chief
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Cuba Deploys More Medicos in Ebola Fight
- Volatility No Reason to Bail on Stock Market
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms