"We love music and we love television and nowhere do those two combine better than in a show's theme song," said Emmys host
"And while themes today are better than ever, we miss the day when they had accompanying lyrics that explained the show's plot," added
The former Saturday Night Live co-stars then introduced Yankovic who -- along with an ensemble of backup singers and dancers -- explained in song the story lines of Mad Men, Modern Family, Scandal and Homeland.
Yankovic wrapped up the musical number with a salute to the notoriously bloody Game of Thrones, singing: "Don't get too attached to a certain guy. He might drink some poison wine," while the chorus warned him: "That's a spoiler! That's a spoiler!"
Yankovic also urged
A typewriter was then placed on Martin's lap while he sat in the audience and he gamely pounded on the keys.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say