"We love music and we love television and nowhere do those two combine better than in a show's theme song," said Emmys host
"And while themes today are better than ever, we miss the day when they had accompanying lyrics that explained the show's plot," added
The former Saturday Night Live co-stars then introduced Yankovic who -- along with an ensemble of backup singers and dancers -- explained in song the story lines of Mad Men, Modern Family, Scandal and Homeland.
Yankovic wrapped up the musical number with a salute to the notoriously bloody Game of Thrones, singing: "Don't get too attached to a certain guy. He might drink some poison wine," while the chorus warned him: "That's a spoiler! That's a spoiler!"
Yankovic also urged
A typewriter was then placed on Martin's lap while he sat in the audience and he gamely pounded on the keys.
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Royals Beat A's in 12-inning Wild Card Thriller
- Construction Spending Down Again for August
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry
- California's Ban on Plastic Bags: What Now?
- Petri Likely Broke House Ethics Rules
- Exxon Gives Nod to Fracking Risks
- Morgan: 'Can't Believe' Wal-Mart Blaming Him