NEW YORK, N.Y. - The U.S. Open is underway in steamy conditions.
Rafael Nadal isn't around to defend his title because of a right wrist injury. Top-ranked Serena Williams is seeking her third straight championship on the women's side.
Second-seeded Simona Halep, fourth-seeded Agnieszka Radwanska and sixth-seeded Angelique Kerber are among the players with early matches Monday.
Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka, Venus Williams and Sloane Stephens will also be on court during the day session. Maria Sharapova and Novak Djokovic play at night under the lights at Arthur Ashe Stadium.
Original headline: US Open begins on steamy day, with Nadal not around and Sharapova, Djokovic playing at night
Most Popular Stories
- Frightfully Fun Films Return for Halloween
- Pfizer Approves $11 Billion Buyback Plan
- Would Soccer Be Richer Without Small Clubs?
- Cloud Lifts Microsoft's Quarterly Results
- Hollywood Eager to Grasp Hispanic Market
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux Set the Date
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise but Remain Low
- Stocks Continue Strong After Opening Surge
- Teresa Giudice Must Serve Time in Prison