Rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight is recovering after he and two others were shot Sunday at a pre-MTV Video Music Awards party in West Hollywood, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department told USA TODAY.
"'Suge' Knight has been identified as one of several victims," says Deputy Jeff Gordon.
Authorities were called to 1 Oak on Sunset Boulevard after 1:30 a.m. Sunday, where Chris Brown hosted a nightclub party. Shots struck Knight, 49, a 32-year-old man and a 19-year-old woman, Gordon says.
"Suge is currently resting and has lost a lot of blood, he's human," Knight's family said in a statement to Revolt TV. "He's done a lot of things for the community and the culture as a whole so we ask that you respect that."
Brown's representatives issued a statement saying: "This incident did not involve Chris; he was merely the host of the event. He has and will continue to cooperate with the investigation."
Knight co-founded Death Row Records in 1991. In 1996, he was in the car with Tupac Shakur when the rapper was fatally shot.
Most Popular Stories
- Frightfully Fun Films Return for Halloween
- Pfizer Approves $11 Billion Buyback Plan
- Would Soccer Be Richer Without Small Clubs?
- Cloud Lifts Microsoft's Quarterly Results
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux Set the Date
- Stocks Continue Strong After Opening Surge
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise but Remain Low
- Hollywood Eager to Grasp Hispanic Market
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Teresa Giudice Must Serve Time in Prison