The positive tone was set overnight in
Inflation expectations in
The S&P 500 gained 9 points, or 0.5%, to post a record closing high of 1,998 after scoring an intraday record just below 2,002.
All 10 sectors were positive, led by financials.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 75.65 points, or 0.4%, to 17,076.87. The Nasdaq gained 18.80 points, or 0.4%, to 4,557.35.
Swiss drug maker
Aerospace and defense giant
Another US mall fixture, Ann (ANN), operator of
In economic news, sales of new single-family homes fell 2.4% in July from June to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 412,000, the
It was the slowest pace of new home sales in four months, as demand was relatively weaker in all regions except the South.
Economists expected a reading of 430,000. July sales were down 4.3% from a year earlier.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say