The S&P BSE Sensex, which was up by over 210 points at mid-session after it hit new life high of 26,630.74, washed out major part of early gains. It managed to settle in the green, up by 17.47 points, or 0.07 per cent, at 26.437.02. On a closing basis, this is higher than 26,420.67 hit on
The wide-based 50-issue CNX Nifty of the NSE also recorded its fresh intra-day historic high of 7,968.25, but came off from the new peak on late selling to end at 7,906.30 — a fall of 6.90 points or 0.09 per cent. On intra-day basis, the Nifty crossed previous peak of 7,929.05 hit on
As a result, metal stocks like
Besides metal stocks, realty, power, banking and capital goods counters too attracted profit-booking. Had there not been smart rise in TCS, ITC, HDFC,
"Market sentiment was strong till mid-session, however, post the
Globally, Asian markets mostly rose on Monday, while the dollar hit multi-month highs against the yen and euro after the US Federal Reserve chief seemed to indicate a shift towards an interest rate rise sooner than expected.
Retreating from over three-week highs, the Indian rupee on Monday fell
However, sustained capital inflows and a weak dollar overseas limited the rupee fall, a forex dealer said. At the Interbank Foreign Exchange (Forex) market, the domestic unit commenced lower at 60.52 a dollar from previous close of 60.47. It tried to recover and logged an intra-day high of 60.41 on initial strong rally in local stocks.
However, the rupee met with strong resistance on fag-end profit booking in local shares and renewed dollar demand from importers, mainly oil refiners, to meet their month-end requirements. It fell back to a low of 60.58 before settling at 60.56, a fall of
Most Popular Stories
- Consumer Prices Edge Up, Surprising Economists
- Stock Market Seesaw Gives Investors Pause
- 'Twilight's' Kristen Stewart Captures Work of Guantánamo Guards in 'Camp X-Ray'
- Weight Loss Claim for Green Coffee Beans Doesn't Hold Water
- Mexico's Pemex Reports Loss
- Holdout Files New Complaint Against Argentina Over Defaulted Debt
- 'Kissing Congressman' Admits Mistake in Reelection Bid
- Steris to Add 100 Jobs in Birmingham
- Beepi Eases Peer-to-peer Auto Sales
- Europe's Bank Test Aims to Strengthen Economy