Software-Defined Networking (SDN) continues to gain ground within the broader enterprise and cloud service provider markets for data Centre networking.
According to a new forecast from
This forecast for the SDN ecosystem includes in-use physical network infrastructure, controller and network-virtualisation software, SDN network and security services and related applications, and SDN-related professional services.
Software-defined networking is an innovative architectural model that is capable of delivering automated provisioning, network virtualisation, and network programmability to datacentre and enterprise networks.
SDN has emerged as a key driver for innovation and change in networking as several market and technology factors converge: Growth of cloud applications and services across enterprise and cloud providers focus on converged infrastructures (compute/storage/network) and on the software-defined datacentre.
They also focus on lessons learned regarding the benefits and best practices of server virtualisation have become apparent; increased demand for network flexibility to support mission-critical technologies based on 3rd Platform technologies, particularly cloud, mobility, Big Data, and Internet of Things (IoT) applications.
"SDN is taking centre stage among innovative approaches to some of the networking challenges brought about by the rise of the 3rd Platform, particularly virtualisation and cloud computing," said Vice President, Network Infrastructure at IDC,
"With SDN's growing traction in the datacentre for cloud deployments, enterprise IT is beginning to see the value in potentially extending SDN to the WAN and into the campus to meet the demand for more agile approaches to network architecture, provisioning, and operations."
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- California's Ban on Plastic Bags: What Now?
- Petri Likely Broke House Ethics Rules
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry
- Exxon Gives Nod to Fracking Risks
- Morgan: 'Can't Believe' Wal-Mart Blaming Him
- Wealth Gap Widens as Rich Spend More on Kids' Education
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment
- Can You Be Fired for Using Medical Marijuana?
- Lack of Sea Ice Brings 35,000 Walruses Ashore