However, the market could find support from the financial sector after
Analysts had generally estimated Royal would have
The Canadian dollar was down 0.05 of a cent to
U.S. futures were mixed as the Dow Jones industrial futures declined three points to 17,013, the Nasdaq futures gained two points to 4,049.5 while the S&P 500 futures slipped one points to 1,988.5.
While U.S. job creation has steadily improved and averages about 200,000 jobs a month, there are worries about increased slack. The participation rate in the U.S. has fallen to a percentage in the low 60s. Also of concern is the number of workers employed part-time for economic reasons, and the high level of long-term unemployment.
The Fed has been generally expected to raise rates mid-2015 but there are concerns the Fed may move even earlier.
Rising rates are seen as a drag for the stock markets since some investors would choose to invest their money in securities with a guaranteed return, like bonds.
Meanwhile, geopolitical concerns were on the boil after
That charge from
The aid is intended for civilians in the city of Luhansk, where pro-Russian separatists are besieged by government forces.
But in the past few days,
Traders sought safety in gold and U.S. Treasurys. The December bullion contract in
The yield on the benchmark U.S. Treasury was 2.396 per cent, down 0.11 of a point from Thursday.
Elsewhere on the commodity markets, October crude was down
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- Who's Next? More Nude Celeb Pics Hacked, Leaked
- Tips for Hiding, Securing Data on Smartphones
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- Iran Says Syria Strikes Illegal
- Cristela Gets a Big Thumbs Up
- ISIS Calls for Jihad Against 'Filthy French'
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- Congress Casts a Coy Vote on ISIS War
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry