Investors were also poring over a speech by Federal Reserve Chair
Trading was unusually quiet with many investors on vacation.
The Dow Jones industrial average lost 38 points, or 0.2 percent, to close at 17,001 Friday.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index fell four points, or 0.2 percent, to 1,988. The Nasdaq composite index rose six points, or 0.1 percent, to 4,538.
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.40 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata Is Fast and Eager
- Small Businesses Add 3 More Worries to Their List
- DOMA Tech Adding Jobs to Process VA Claims
- Apple Warns of China iCloud Attack
- Tech Firms Flock to LA's 'Silicon Beach'
- Job Hunting Is Hard Work
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- Ford, GM Expect to Report Strong Profits
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering