Investors were also poring over a speech by Federal Reserve Chair
Trading was unusually quiet with many investors on vacation.
The Dow Jones industrial average lost 38 points, or 0.2 percent, to close at 17,001 Friday.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index fell four points, or 0.2 percent, to 1,988. The Nasdaq composite index rose six points, or 0.1 percent, to 4,538.
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.40 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Bolivar Appointed to NSHMBA National Board
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- Duke Energy, Strata Partner on Big Solar Project
- Rosneft Growth Slowed by Western Sanctions
- SBA Kicks off Hispanic Heritage Month
- Lindsay Lohan Claims She Handled Whitney Houston's Body Bag
- Ukraine Offers Temporary Autonomy to Rebel-held Areas
- Bently Creates Alabama Small Business Commission
- Creepers! Microsoft Buys 'Minecraft' Maker for $2.5 Billion
- Thousands Risk Losing Health Care Aid