This fall, students can enroll in the Engineering Technology degree program with a concentration in Sustainable Design. The curriculum is offered at the college's
"Sustainable design practices seek to minimize the negative environmental impact of buildings," said
"Students will learn a holistic approach to design that considers life-cycle costs such as building efficiency and energy. The idea of sustainability, or ecological design, is to ensure that our actions today don't inhibit the opportunities of future generations."
Sustainable Design is open to all Pellissippi State students interested in pursuing Engineering Technology. It is also part of the curriculum at the new
The concentration is useful for students interested in the construction industry and in the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification exam, as well as for students interested in fields as wide-ranging as business, consulting, and science. The curriculum includes topics such as passive solar design, construction techniques, site selection and design, building information modeling software, and LEED sustainability concepts.
"The Sustainable Design concentration offers a great foundation of the most essential ideas for those who wish to be an agent of change," said Armour, who is an architect and LEED accredited professional.
Students who complete the Sustainable Design coursework at Pellissippi State earn a two-year Associate of Applied Science degree. The 60-hour concentration includes classroom and open-lab time.
For more information about Engineering Technology or other degree programs at Pellissippi State, visit www.pstcc.edu or call (865) 694-6400.
TNS 30TagarumaMar-140823-4836881 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- Bently Creates Alabama Small Business Commission
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- Bolivar Appointed to NSHMBA National Board
- Is Alibaba's IPO Price a Fairytale?
- Los Angeles Angels Clinch Playoff Spot
- U.S. Producer Prices Held Steady in August
- Rosneft Growth Slowed by Western Sanctions
- SBA Kicks off Hispanic Heritage Month
- Duke Energy, Strata Partner on Big Solar Project
- Lindsay Lohan Claims She Handled Whitney Houston's Body Bag