Before this, he spent several decades in RBS's corporate banking business. He joined Williams & Glyn, now folded into RBS, in 1973.
He has spent the last four years in non-executive posts including at Nationwide, where he chaired the building society's risk committee until last month.
"Alan's strategic focus and core banking experience complements the balance of skills on our board," said Lloyds chairman
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- Clinton Rallies Early Vote for Landrieu
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform