Before this, he spent several decades in RBS's corporate banking business. He joined Williams & Glyn, now folded into RBS, in 1973.
He has spent the last four years in non-executive posts including at Nationwide, where he chaired the building society's risk committee until last month.
"Alan's strategic focus and core banking experience complements the balance of skills on our board," said Lloyds chairman
Most Popular Stories
- Cape Cod Building Mussel Industry
- Hollywood Eager to Grasp Hispanic Market
- Frightfully Fun Films Return for Halloween
- Sears Denies Store Closings, Layoffs Report
- Microsoft Beats Income Expectations
- Would Soccer Be Richer Without Small Clubs?
- Cloud Lifts Microsoft's Quarterly Results
- Pfizer Approves $11 Billion Buyback Plan
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise but Remain Low