Ants on a Raft
For many insects (e.g., ants), rain puddles, rainstorms or just a quick shower can be disastrous. Flowever, in 2011, researchers from Georgia Tech discovered ants' tactical move to stay alive when faced with unwelcome water. The team, David Flu,
The researchers continued their work this year and used a miniature CT scanner to discover exactly how the ants connect with each other. Generally, the ants connect in a perpendicular fashion, rather than parallel, to allow for expansion and contraction abilities. On average, each ant connects to 4.8 neighbors, which can add up to 14 connections, and that the insects use their legs to extend the distance between each other.
"Increasing the distance keeps the raft porous and buoyant, allowing the structure to stay afloat and bounce back to the surface when strong river currents submerge it," says Mlot. They also learned that smaller ants will fill any gaps in between larger ant connections, which helps with water seepage and prevents weak spots in the raft.
Visit www.news.gatech.edu/2014/06/12/going -inside-ant-raft to view a video of the raft in action.
Firefly Light Technology
Maye says the rods are the same materials used in solar panels and LED lights. "It's conceivable that someday fireflycoated nanorods could be inserted into LED-type lights that you don't have to plug in."
*Queen female termites have been known to live for 50 years.
*Dragonflies can fly up to 60 mph.
*Female stick insects can grow to more than 14 in. in length.
*Only female mosquitos bite humans and animals.
*Honeybees maintain a constant temperature of 93 °F within the hive year-round.
"The mosquito is the state bird of
"I'm going to float like a butterfly and
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms