Using extended analog computer technology developed by IUPUI associate professor of bioengineering
"It has been great to receive validation from an external group that we had a strong business case, and it's also nice to see the hard work start to pay off," said Mattes, who will serve as president and CEO of Analog Computing Solutions operating out of
He specifically recognized four people with IU affiliations, three of whom will serve within the Analog Computing Solutions corporate structure, for support and assistance:
* Yoshida will serve as Analog Computing Solutions' technology advisor and play a role influencing the technical direction of the extended analog computer.
Lastly, Mattes recognized Mills, who was responsible for developing the initial hardware for extended analog computers nearly two decades ago. "Without him, neither the extended analog computer nor ACS would exist," Mattes said.
In 2012, six corporations sold greater than 90 percent of the
Hearing aids work by using advanced sound filtering algorithms to make soft noises louder and loud noises softer; monitor for feedback and then cancel or filter out sound; reduce amplification of steady state sounds; identify and enhance speech; and focus on conversations.
"But because of the power limitations of hearing aid electronics, digital signal processing restricts the ability to perform complex algorithms to improve hearing," Mattes said. "The low-power computing architecture of the extended analog computer allows for improved sound processing, longer battery life and improved hearing."
A similar argument can be made for improving the function of myoelectric prosthetics, a small but growing part of the
Specifically, in work funded by the
"The dramatic increase in the number and density of electrode sites, and need to implant multi-electrode structures into targeted muscles, will increase the signal processing requirements beyond the power and speed capabilities of the traditional mobile digital signal processing used in these devices," Mattes said.
"Supporting our students in entrepreneurship is a major objective of the
A complete list of the 2014 BEST competition's investors is available online (http://www.best.indiana.edu/investors/index.shtml).
TNS 30TagarumaMar-140821-4835100 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- Cape Cod Building Mussel Industry
- Hollywood Eager to Grasp Hispanic Market
- Frightfully Fun Films Return for Halloween
- Sears Denies Store Closings, Layoffs Report
- Microsoft Beats Income Expectations
- Would Soccer Be Richer Without Small Clubs?
- Cloud Lifts Microsoft's Quarterly Results
- Pfizer Approves $11 Billion Buyback Plan
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise but Remain Low