The report released by the
The report showed that jobless claims fell to 298,000, a decrease of 14,000 from the previous week's revised level of 312,000.
Economists had been expecting jobless claims to pull back to 303,000 from the 311,000 originally reported for the previous week.
Traders focus on a 3-day annual gathering of central bankers at
A report from the
The loonie hit 94.74 against the yen for the first time since
The manufacturing sector in
That handily beat forecasts for a score of 51.5 following the 50.5 reading in July.
The loonie recovered to 1.0950 against the greenback, off early 2-week low of 1.0985. Further gains may take the loonie to a resistance around the 1.09 zone.
The loonie came off from an early low of 1.4568 against the euro, rising to 1.4525. Next key resistance for the loonie may be eyed around the 1.45 level.
The Eurozone private sector growth slowed more than expected in August as manufacturing posted its weakest expansion in 13 months, flash data from Markit Economics showed.
The composite output index fell to 52.8 in August from 53.8 in July. The indicator was expected to fall marginally to 53.4.
The Canadian currency held steady against the Australian dollar, after retreating to 1.0193 from an early 3-day high of 1.0142.
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays