Aug. 20--LORDSTOWN -- The Chevrolet Cruze was the ninth-most stolen 2013 vehicle nationwide last year.
The car, which is produced at the General Motors plant in Lordstown, had a total of 499 thefts, according to data released from the National Insurance Crime Bureau.
The FBI predicts that national vehicle thefts will decrease by 3.2 percent when the final 2013 statistics are released later this year.
"The drop in thefts is good news for all of us," NICB President and CEO Joe Wehrle said in a statement.
"But it still amounts to a vehicle being stolen every 45 seconds and losses of over $4 billion a year. That's why we applaud the vehicle manufacturers for their efforts to improve anti-theft technology," he added.
Aside from locking doors and taking your keys with you, the NICB advises drivers to use warning and tracking devices to reduce theft.
Here is the full list for the top 10 2013 model year vehicles stolen during calendar year 2013:
1. Nissan Altima (810)
2. Ford Fusion (793)
3. Ford pickup full size (775)
4. Toyota Corolla (669)
5. Chevrolet Impala (654)
6. Hyundai Elantra (541)
7. Dodge Charger (536)
8. Chevrolet Malibu (529)
9. Chevrolet Cruze (499)
10. Ford Focus (483)
(c)2014 Vindicator (Youngstown, Ohio)
Visit Vindicator (Youngstown, Ohio) at www.vindy.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Original headline: BRIEF: Cruze among top 2013 models stolen
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World