A new survey by
According to the research, almost half the
Globally, 67% of respondents said they use their smartphone every day when on holiday, and one in 10 travellers used their smartphone for up to 70 hours on average while on holiday.
42% of travellers use their phone to check social media every day while on holiday, while 24% of respondents admitted they always check Facebook before going to sleep.
The research showed that selfies are also increasingly becoming one of the most popular ways to share holiday experiences, with 25% of travellers surveyed saying they use their smartphones for holiday selfies. The trend is highly prevalent in the
The survey also revealed that smartphones are replacing traditional postcards, with 64% of global respondents saying they use it to text friends and another 32% to
IHG senior vice president customer loyalty marketing
"This research shows how mobile technology is revolutionising the holiday experience from enabling travellers to dream about and plan their holidays, to helping enjoy the trip itself and share their experiences with their friends and family."
The top ten uses of smartphones by holidaymakers are:
Checking work emails 68%
Navigation and maps 67%
Taking holiday photos 51%
Making calls 42%
Snapping pictures of meals 35%
Updating Facebook / Twitter 32%
Playing games 27%
Taking selfies 25%
Most Popular Stories
- Cape Cod Building Mussel Industry
- Hollywood Eager to Grasp Hispanic Market
- Frightfully Fun Films Return for Halloween
- Sears Denies Store Closings, Layoffs Report
- Microsoft Beats Income Expectations
- Would Soccer Be Richer Without Small Clubs?
- Cloud Lifts Microsoft's Quarterly Results
- Pfizer Approves $11 Billion Buyback Plan
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise but Remain Low