The Dow Jones industrial average fell eight points, or 0.1 percent, to 16,911 as of
The Standard & Poor's 500 index fell two points, or 0.1 percent, to 1,979. The Nasdaq composite lost seven points, or 0.2 percent, to 4,520.
Lowe's fell 3 percent in early trading after the home improvement company lowered its full-year revenue outlook.
Investors were waiting for the release of minutes later Wednesday of the Federal Reserve's last policy meeting.
Bond prices fell. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note rose to 2.41 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- Washington's 'The Equalizer' Debuts With $35 Million
- Is North Korea's Kim Jong Ill?
- International Coffee Day Means Free Coffee at Dunkin' Donuts, Krispy Kreme, McDonalds
- Pending U.S. Home Sales Slid in August
- Jerry Brown Signs 'Yes Means Yes' Law
- Drunk Driver Rear Ends Jennifer Lopez, Leah Remini's Car
- George Clooney Says 'I Do' For a Second Time
- GoPro Launching Three New Cameras
- Macy's Boosts Holiday Hiring 3.6 Percent