News Column

Music: Cliff Richard withdraws from charity concert

August 20, 2014

Martin Williams



Sir Cliff Richard, facing a historical sexual assault claim, has withdrawn from a charity event because he did not "want the event to be overshadowed by the false allegation", his spokesman said yesterday.

The singer was due to perform at Canterbury cathedral on 26 September in a fundraising concert.

Police searched Richard's apartment last week as part of an investigation into an alleged sexual assault on a young boy at a religious event in 1985. The pop star has denied any wrongdoing.

The decision to pull out of the charity event comes after the pop star, 73, hired the high-profile lawyer, Ian Burton.

Celebrities have jumped to defend Richard. Cilla Black said: "I, like everyone else, was very shocked to hear of these allegations and I am absolutely positive that they are without foundation." Martin Williams



For more stories covering arts and entertainment, please see HispanicBusiness' Arts & Entertainment Channel



Source: Guardian (UK)


Story Tools






HispanicBusiness.com Facebook Linkedin Twitter RSS Feed Email Alerts & Newsletters