The loonie was unchanged at
The agency said that sales in the vehicle sector declined 2.4 per cent to
Meanwhile, the U.S. central bank's minutes from its latest meeting last month will be released mid-afternoon and traders will be looking to see how many individual Fed members feel rates have been kept too low for too long. Many analysts expect the Fed to move from rates that have hovered near zero since the financial crisis around the middle of next year.
On Friday, Fed chairwoman
She is also expected to explain why she believes there is still a lot of slack in the job market. How much slack there is in the labour market is a critical question for the central bank as it decides when to hike rates.
Recent economic data have raised speculation that the Fed could move earlier than mid-2015, which in turn would be earlier than many think the Bank of
"Today, the Fed minutes are the focus and expected to support a stronger U.S. dollar as it will refocus markets on diverging interest rate paths," said
Prices were mixed on commodity markets with September crude up
September copper was
Most Popular Stories
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata Is Fast and Eager
- Small Businesses Add 3 More Worries to Their List
- DOMA Tech Adding Jobs to Process VA Claims
- Apple Warns of China iCloud Attack
- Job Hunting Is Hard Work
- Tech Firms Flock to LA's 'Silicon Beach'
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- Ford, GM Expect to Report Strong Profits
- Consumer Prices Edge Up, Surprising Economists