The Federal Government plans to establish a wholesale
The President explained that the proposed institution was part of measures to enhance the contribution of MSMEs to the country's economic growth and development.
According to him, the impending DFI would provide long-term finance spanning up to 15 years for relevant entrepreneurs and industrialists especially people involved in tree-crops production.
Jonathan also disclosed plans by the Federal Government to restructure existing development finance institutes for better performance and improved access to finance by MSMEs.
He pointed out that "MSMEs are recognised all over the world as engine of growth in any development oriented economy.
"Besides their inherent labour intensive production processes, they also provide a viable platform for job creation globally.
"All over the developed world the contributions of MSMEs to GDP (Gross Domestic Product) average about 47 per cent; this shows clearly how important MSMEs are to us.
"As reported by SMEDAN (
"However, this is quite small compared to countries like
The President emphasised that a vibrant MSMEs subsector was key to achieving sustainable transformation of the Nigerian economy.
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays