Gains accelerated in the afternoon upon the release of some fairly hawkish Federal Reserve minutes.
The Federal Reserve debated when to hike interest rates amid signs the labor market has moved closer to normal.
Fed forecasts show most officials expect to start raising rates next year, but some members want a "relatively prompt" rate hike, according to the minutes of the Fed's
The dollar climbed near
Fighting back from early weakness, late day gains took the buck to a 5-month peak of
The Bank of
The dollar also surged to its highest since March versus the yen, breaking out of a narrow trading range to fetch
Focus now shifts to
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- Creepers! Microsoft Buys 'Minecraft' Maker for $2.5 Billion
- Hispanic Buying Power Slow but Growing in South
- Back to School, Even in Immigration Jail
- Apple: Record iPhones 6 Orders on 1st Day
- U.S. Factory Output Slowed 0.4 Percent in August
- Is a Mayweather, Pacquiao Big-Money Fight Possible?
- Clinton: 'Fabulous to Be Back' in Iowa
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- DOJ Launches Program to Thwart U.S. Extremists