Commenting on the CPI inflation figures for
"The welcome fall in inflation confirms that the increase in June was temporary and doesn't signal a new upward trend. While wage increases remain very low and the pound is still relatively strong, we expect inflation to remain below the 2% target for the foreseeable future.
"Although the recovery remains on track, it is still fragile and now is not the time to put it at risk with premature interest rate rises. We must nurture the business confidence we are seeing at present by giving businesses the security of working in a low interest rate environment. The government should reinforce this stable backdrop by introducing measures to help firms access the finance they need to grow, and by enhancing support for our exporters."
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World