Ice bucket charity heats up Internet Yao is the latest celebrity to join the global phenomenon, which has spread to
Yao, who accepted the challenge from friends, will pour a bucket of ice water over himself on Saturday at the
The challenge requires that participators pour a bucket of ice water on themselves and then post a video of it on social media while nominating three other people to do the same.
People who fail to take the challenge will have to donate
A number of international celebrities have already taken the challenge, including
Social media frenzy
At the Sina Weibo micro-blog site, the "Ice Bucket Challenge" topic has generated more than 3 billion views.
ALS is a rare disease that gradually reduces patients' muscle strength, eventually rendering them paralyzed and unable to speak, move, swallow and breathe.
The disease strikes 1 to 3 people out of 100,000.
"The medical treatment for ALS and related supporting facilities is very expensive and cannot be covered by most social welfare programs. This creates difficulties for many ALS patients and their families, both physically and mentally," said Zhu Changqing, associate professor at
Zhu is the founder of the
"The ice bucket campaign has greatly helped improve the public awareness of ALS. More care should be given to them with the campaign," Zhu said.
On Monday, the
"Many celebrities positively participated in the campaign. But we don't want it to become a game among celebrities. We hope it can help bring more attention to rare diseases," said
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- Who's Next? More Nude Celeb Pics Hacked, Leaked
- Tips for Hiding, Securing Data on Smartphones
- Cristela Gets a Big Thumbs Up
- Iran Says Syria Strikes Illegal
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- ISIS Calls for Jihad Against 'Filthy French'
- Congress Casts a Coy Vote on ISIS War
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season