A police officer shot and killed a knife-brandishing suspect in St. Louis, about three miles from where Michael Brown was gunned down more than a week ago.
St. Louis Metro Police Chief Sam Dotson said the "erratic" suspect pulled a knife on officers near Riverview Boulevard and McLaren Avenue around 12:30 Tuesday afternoon. No officers were injured in the incident.
The suspect, 23, was pronounced dead at the scene, which has been marked off by police tape and is under heavy guard.
Officers said the "erratic" suspect was shouting at the officers, yelling "shoot me! Kill me," and got within a few feet of the officers before they brought him down.
Witnesses said the man had been inside the Six Star Market before his fatal interaction with police.
Officer involved shooting in the sixth district. Suspect brandished knife at @slmpd officers. No officers injured. Investigation is ongoing.— Chief Sam Dotson (@ChiefSLMPD) August 19, 2014
#Breaking: Suspect killed in officer-involved shooting near Riverview Blvd & McLaran. http://t.co/zmGpvm4SNF #STL pic.twitter.com/WU6Gn8H4R4— KSDK NewsChannel 5 (@ksdknews) August 19, 2014
Chief says the knife has been recovered. Says the victim was 3-4 feet away. Chief trying to calm crowd. pic.twitter.com/FwNkF7eV4t— Adrienne Broaddus (@abroaddus) August 19, 2014
Original headline: One dead in officer-involved shooting in St. Louis
Most Popular Stories
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- Washington's 'The Equalizer' Debuts With $35 Million
- Is North Korea's Kim Jong Ill?
- International Coffee Day Means Free Coffee at Dunkin' Donuts, Krispy Kreme, McDonalds
- Pending U.S. Home Sales Slid in August
- Jerry Brown Signs 'Yes Means Yes' Law
- Drunk Driver Rear Ends Jennifer Lopez, Leah Remini's Car
- George Clooney Says 'I Do' For a Second Time
- GoPro Launching Three New Cameras
- Macy's Boosts Holiday Hiring 3.6 Percent