SENATOR MARKEY JOINS WARREN AND VITTER, AND REPS. GARRETT AND CAPUANO IN BIPARTISAN, BICAMERAL LETTER URGING FED TO STRENGTHEN RESTRICTIONS ON EMERGENCY LENDING AUTHORITY
During the financial crisis, the Fed invoked its emergency lending authority to provide over
"If the Board's emergency lending authority is left unchecked, it can once again be used to provide massive bailouts to large financial institutions without any congressional action," wrote the senators and representatives. "The Board's proposed rule fails to strike the appropriate balance between promoting financial stability and mitigating moral hazard among the largest financial institutions."
The senators and representatives recommended that the Board:
* Establish a clear time limit for a financial institution's reliance on the Board's emergency lending.
* Establish procedures for the orderly unwinding of any emergency lending program.
* Adopt a broader definition of "insolvent."
* Expand the definition of "broad-based."
* Establish limitations, and a penalty rate, on lending terms.
A copy of the letter can be found HERE http://www.warren.senate.gov/files/documents/2014-8-18%20Ltr%20to%20Fed%20re%20Emergency%20Lending%20Authority.pdf.
Read this original document at: http://www.markey.senate.gov/news/press-releases/senator-markey-joins-warren-and-vitter-and-reps-garrett-and-capuano-in-bipartisan-bicameral-letter-urging-fed-to-strengthen-restrictions-on-emergency-lending-authority
Most Popular Stories
- Paniagua Wins Grand Prize in Young Artists Program
- Cable TV Not Going Away, Says Cable TV
- Yaris Adds French Flair for US Market
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Sub Hunt Brings Cold War Chill Back to Baltic
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- IBM to Pay Big to Unload Chip Division
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- Kerry Cites Moral Need in Weapons Air Drop