Housing starts rose 15.7% in July from June to an annual rate of 1.093 million units, the
A robust housing sector might compel the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates early next year.
Fed officials will be meeting in
Although no monetary policy announcements are forthcoming, speeches from the central bank's annual symposium provide some insight about when the Fed intends to tighten.
The dollar rose to
The buck climbed to its highest since March against the sterling, touching
Inflation eased to 1.6% in July from 1.9% in June, while it was forecast to slow to 1.8%.
Tame inflation gives
Last week, during the central bank's quarterly inflation report, Carney struck a more dovish tone, saying that the bank remains on course to raise rates early next year but only if wage growth in the
Early gains took the buck to
Most Popular Stories
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Eric Garcia Appointed as Revenue Chief
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Volatility No Reason to Bail on Stock Market
- Cuba Deploys More Medicos in Ebola Fight
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week