The company's announcement on Tuesday came as it posted a
BHP said the restructure will allow it to focus on its core iron ore, copper, coal, petroleum and potash businesses.
The new company will include some of BHP's aluminum, nickel, manganese, silver and coal assets, spread across five countries. It will be based in
The proposed split is subject to regulatory approvals and will be put before shareholders for a vote. The spinoff is expected to be completed in the first half of 2015.
Most Popular Stories
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Eric Garcia Appointed as Revenue Chief
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Volatility No Reason to Bail on Stock Market
- Cuba Deploys More Medicos in Ebola Fight
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week