Spanish tennis star Rafael Nadal announced on Monday he will not be defending his title at the US Open which begins August 25 in Flushing Meadows, New York, due to the wrist injury he suffered during a training session last month.
"I am sorry to announce I will not be able to participate in the US Open, a tournament in which I have had very good results over the last years", Nadal said on his official account on a social network.
The world's number two player won the US open last year against serb Novak Djokovic, who currently holds the top position in the world ranking.
"This is a tough time for me because it is a tournament I love and of which I have good memories of the fans, the night-time matches and many other things", he added.
Nadal, 28, has not recovered from the injury in the right wrist he suffered on July 30 during a training session on the Spanish island of Majorca, which has also kept him off the courts at the recent Masters 1000 tournaments in Toronto (Canada) and Cincinatti (US).
The nine-time Roland Garros champion said he had no choice but to accept he would not be able to compete this year and pledged to continue working to be in top form when he returns to the competition.
Original headline: Nadal will not take part in the US Open due to wrist injury
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- California's Ban on Plastic Bags: What Now?
- Petri Likely Broke House Ethics Rules
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry
- Exxon Gives Nod to Fracking Risks
- Morgan: 'Can't Believe' Wal-Mart Blaming Him
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment
- Wealth Gap Widens as Rich Spend More on Kids' Education
- Can You Be Fired for Using Medical Marijuana?
- Lack of Sea Ice Brings 35,000 Walruses Ashore