A bidding war for
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 160 points, or 1 percent, to 16,822 as of
The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose 15 points, or 0.8 percent, to 1,970.
The Nasdaq composite climbed 38 points, or 0.9 percent, to 4,503.
European markets also rose.
Bond prices fell. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note rose to 2.38 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Consumer Prices Edge Up, Surprising Economists
- Steris to Add 100 Jobs in Birmingham
- Clinton Rallies New England Women
- Market Jolt Offers a Reality Check for Investors
- Ebola in New York, Mali Raises Travel Jitters
- Do Voters Want Compromise?
- Beepi Eases Peer-to-peer Auto Sales
- Stocks Close Out Best Week in Nearly 2 Years
- Microsoft Earnings Drive Stocks Higher
- Timeline for New York Ebola Doctor