A bidding war for
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 160 points, or 1 percent, to 16,822 as of
The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose 15 points, or 0.8 percent, to 1,970.
The Nasdaq composite climbed 38 points, or 0.9 percent, to 4,503.
European markets also rose.
Bond prices fell. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note rose to 2.38 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- 10 Things to Know About Alibaba
- Five Steps to Protect Yourself from Data Breaches
- Concur Sold to SAP for $8.3B
- Chrysler Recalls Nearly 189,000 SUVs
- Federal Probe Finds Christie Did Not Order 'Bridgegate'
- Intruder Gets into White House
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton