SENS. WARREN AND VITTER, AND REPS. GARRETT AND CAPUANO LEAD BIPARTISAN, BICAMERAL LETTER URGING FED TO STRENGTHEN RESTRICTIONS ON EMERGENCY LENDING AUTHORITY
SENATORS WARREN AND VITTER, AND CONGRESSMEN GARRETT AND CAPUANO LEAD BIPARTISAN, BICAMERAL LETTER URGING FED TO STRENGTHEN RESTRICTIONS ON EMERGENCY LENDING AUTHORITY
During the financial crisis, the Fed invoked its emergency lending authority to provide over
"If the Board's emergency lending authority is left unchecked, it can once again be used to provide massive bailouts to large financial institutions without any congressional action," wrote the senators and representatives. "The Board's proposed rule fails to strike the appropriate balance between promoting financial stability and mitigating moral hazard among the largest financial institutions."
The senators and representatives recommended that the Board:
*Establish a clear time limit for a financial institution's reliance on the Board's emergency lending.
*Establish procedures for the orderly unwinding of any emergency lending program.
*Adopt a broader definition of "insolvent."
*Expand the definition of "broad-based."
*Establish limitations, and a penalty rate, on lending terms.
Read the full text of the letter at: http://ct.symplicity.com/t/wrn/5f35ca498d37d85e14a463b75dbb0810/4202687732/realurl=http://www.warren.senate.gov/files/documents/2014-8-18%20Ltr%20to%20Fed%20re%20Emergency%20Lending%20Authority.pdf.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- Who's Next? More Nude Celeb Pics Hacked, Leaked
- Tips for Hiding, Securing Data on Smartphones
- ISIS Calls for Jihad Against 'Filthy French'
- Cristela Gets a Big Thumbs Up
- Hispanic Enterprises Drive U.S. Economy
- Iran Says Syria Strikes Illegal
- Would You Trade Privacy for Job Security?
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades