Stephan's Music for Orchestra (1912) and Butterworth's Six Songs from A Shropshire Lad can be regarded as embodying prewar unease. Butterworth's intimate settings of AE Housman's sad, at times homoerotic verse, beautifully sung by
The performance was inspirational, beautifully judged in its gradations of dynamic and mood, and played with near perfect grace and warmth.
The Proms continue until 13 September. Details: bbc.co.uk/proms
Most Popular Stories
- Consumer Prices Edge Up, Surprising Economists
- Market Jolt Offers a Reality Check for Investors
- Clinton Rallies New England Women
- Stocks Close Out Best Week in Nearly 2 Years
- Do Voters Want Compromise?
- Steris to Add 100 Jobs in Birmingham
- Ebola in New York, Mali Raises Travel Jitters
- Microsoft Earnings Drive Stocks Higher
- Timeline for New York Ebola Doctor
- 'Kissing Congressman' Admits Mistake in Reelection Bid