Stocks climbed on Monday after a bidding contest erupted for discount retailer
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 175.83 points, or 1.1 percent, to 16,838.74.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose 16.68 points, or 0.9 percent, to close at 1,971.74.
The Nasdaq composite rose 43.39 points, or 1 percent, to 4,508.31.
For the year:
The Dow is up 262.08 points, or 1.6 percent.
The S&P 500 index is up 123.38 points, or 6.7 percent.
The Nasdaq is up 331.72 points, or 7.9 percent
Most Popular Stories
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- 10 Things to Know About Alibaba
- Five Steps to Protect Yourself from Data Breaches
- Concur Sold to SAP for $8.3B
- Chrysler Recalls Nearly 189,000 SUVs
- Intruder Gets into White House
- Federal Probe Finds Christie Did Not Order 'Bridgegate'
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas