ROYAL OAK, Mich. - Your next commuter car might have two seats, three wheels and get 84 miles to the gallon.
Phoenix-based Elio Motors wants to revolutionize U.S. roads with its tiny Elio, which has a starting price of $6,800.
Elio Motors plans to start making the vehicles next fall at a former General Motors plant in Shreveport, Louisiana. They will be sold at Elio stores in 60 U.S. markets and serviced by Pep Boys auto shops.
Because it has three wheels, the U.S. government classifies the Elio as a motorcycle. But Elio Motors co-founder Paul Elio says it's designed with all the safety features of a car.
The company already has 27,000 orders for the Elio, mostly from older more affluent buyers who want a second or third car for commuting.
Original headline: Three-wheeled Elio, a $6,800 commuter car, is closer to going on sale
Most Popular Stories
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- 10 Things to Know About Alibaba
- Five Steps to Protect Yourself from Data Breaches
- Concur Sold to SAP for $8.3B
- Chrysler Recalls Nearly 189,000 SUVs
- Federal Probe Finds Christie Did Not Order 'Bridgegate'
- Intruder Gets into White House
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton