ROYAL OAK, Mich. - Your next commuter car might have two seats, three wheels and get 84 miles to the gallon.
Phoenix-based Elio Motors wants to revolutionize U.S. roads with its tiny Elio, which has a starting price of $6,800.
Elio Motors plans to start making the vehicles next fall at a former General Motors plant in Shreveport, Louisiana. They will be sold at Elio stores in 60 U.S. markets and serviced by Pep Boys auto shops.
Because it has three wheels, the U.S. government classifies the Elio as a motorcycle. But Elio Motors co-founder Paul Elio says it's designed with all the safety features of a car.
The company already has 27,000 orders for the Elio, mostly from older more affluent buyers who want a second or third car for commuting.
Original headline: Three-wheeled Elio, a $6,800 commuter car, is closer to going on sale
Most Popular Stories
- Cape Cod Building Mussel Industry
- Hollywood Eager to Grasp Hispanic Market
- Frightfully Fun Films Return for Halloween
- Would Soccer Be Richer Without Small Clubs?
- Cloud Lifts Microsoft's Quarterly Results
- Sears Denies Store Closings, Layoffs Report
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise but Remain Low
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Pfizer Approves $11 Billion Buyback Plan
- Teresa Giudice Must Serve Time in Prison