SB Safety enables the fast, efficient transfer of ACARS data messages over the SwiftBroadband link. Installed in May this year,
This is the start of a revolution in communications for the flight deck. It shows the way forward for Future Air Navigation Systems (FANS) for the nearly 10,000 aircraft currently relying on our Inmarsat Classic Aero services, which were launched over 20 years ago, said
As well as ACARS, SB Safety also supports flight deck voice services and IP connectivity to the flight deck, enabling other flight operations and cockpit services, such as inflight updates to Electronic Flight Bags and Flight Data Recorder downloads. It also supports aircraft position reporting and tracking, and voice transmission for Air Traffic Management communications. A range of terminal variants is available, ensuring SB Safety can meet the requirements of all aircraft types, from the largest passenger types to business jets.
A key point is that SB Safety provides a prioritised IP data pipe for the cockpit, for both security and continuity of service continued Mondale. This is particularly important for airlines that use SwiftBroadband for both safety services and cabin connectivity.
The A319s airborne hardware is Cobhams AVIATOR 300D, part of a range which includes low-cost terminals with low weight and drag. SITA is the communications service provider and Satcom Direct is responsible for the on-board flight deck and cabin services. The entire system has undergone SITAs Verification and Qualification (VAQ) testing procedure.
SB Safety is expected to achieve FANS approval in early 2016, following flight trials on commercial aircraft.
1The Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS) is a digital datalink system for the transmission of short messages between aircraft and ground stations via airband radio or satellite. It is a highly reliable text-based message system used extensively by the aviation industry.
For further Information
Director of Communications
+44 (0)20 7728 1935 +44
(0)20 7031 8270
Most Popular Stories
- Scholarships Offered for Hispanic Heritage Month
- Boeing Succeeds in Early Wooing of China Airline Startups
- Latin America Seeks Ways to Add Value to China Exports
- EU Finance Ministers Discuss Investment Plan
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- IS Releases New Beheading Video
- Detroit Bankruptcy: Pivotal Progress in Trial's Second Week
- Will Apple's Digital Wallet Conquer the Card Swipe?
- Apple Reportedly Spent $100MM for Free U2 Album from iTunes
- Olive Garden's Breadsticks Targeted by Activist Investor