With some soft July retail sales data from the US and a slower growth in
Elsewhere, eurozone recovery unexpectedly stagnated in the second quarter with
Investors also kept an eye on the situation in
Gold for December delivery, the most actively traded contract, inched up
Gold for December delivery scaled an intraday high of
On Wednesday, gold futures ended higher after some disappointing US retail sales data for July with
The dollar index, which tracks the US unit against six major currencies, traded at 81.60 on Thursday, down from its previous close of 81.61 late Wednesday in North American trade. The dollar scaled a high of 81.69 intraday and a low of 81.41.
The euro traded higher against the dollar at
In economic news from the US, initial jobless claims rose more than expected to 311,000, up 21,000 from the previous week's revised level of 290,000. Economists expected jobless claims to edge up to 295,000 from the 289,000 originally reported for the previous week.
Another report from the
Meanwhile, economic recovery in the eurozone unexpectedly came to a halt in the second quarter, with
Most Popular Stories
- Cape Cod Building Mussel Industry
- Hollywood Eager to Grasp Hispanic Market
- Frightfully Fun Films Return for Halloween
- Would Soccer Be Richer Without Small Clubs?
- Sears Denies Store Closings, Layoffs Report
- Cloud Lifts Microsoft's Quarterly Results
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise but Remain Low
- Pfizer Approves $11 Billion Buyback Plan
- Microsoft Beats Income Expectations