SmartKem is a leader in research and development of high performance organic semiconductor inks. These inks are used in printed thin film transistors (TFTs), which drive unbreakable and fully flexible electronics, for example leading-edge flexible OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diodes) displays.
The future belongs to flexible displays. First flexible smartphones are already in the market. Customers will benefit from a lot of useful lightweight, fully flexible and rollable electronics products based on organic TFTs. Our investment in SmartKem and our extensive Joint Development Program will take us a great step forward in bringing this future-oriented technology faster to the market, said
Thin film transistors are part of the driver electronics in today s displays. They have the function to switch pixels on and off. Established display technologies based on inorganic TFT materials (e.g. silicon or metal oxide systems) are processed on glass at high temperatures. When it comes to true flexibility, conventional TFT systems reach their boundaries. Organic thin film transistors are inherently much more flexible and can be processed on plastic films, since they are printable at low temperatures. Furthermore, printing TFTs has the potential to make the whole production process much more efficient, including possible cost reductions.
Most Popular Stories
- Bently Creates Alabama Small Business Commission
- Is Alibaba's IPO Price a Fairytale?
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- Los Angeles Angels Clinch Playoff Spot
- U.S. Producer Prices Held Steady in August
- Bolivar Appointed to NSHMBA National Board
- Sanctions Push Russian Ruble to Historic Low
- U.S. Tobacco Growers Lose Last of Price Supports
- Hispanic Buying Power Slow but Growing in South
- Scottish Leaders Scramble for Votes on Independence