The 24-page document details the current global trends in telecommunication regulation, comparing
The report stated that
"TRA has played an active role in shaping the country's ICT landscape.
"However, the focus continues to be on defining the communications market. Supply remains integrated and there is a high level of support for national ICT suppliers."
It states that in countries where the ICT markets are well regulated, companies have the ability to trade paving the path for fairer competition, but in
"Spectrum availability continues to be limited and spectrum trading is not yet allowed," said the report.
"On consumer welfare, the focus is on ensuring service affordability, with limited emphasis on consumer privacy.
"A national cyber security policy is in its infancy, although there is a strong cyber security certification programme.
"There is no unified agency to promote cyber security across all ICT assets."
The report has urged the region's governments, including
"The way forward for regulators in the Mena region's ICT sector is one in which they will bring to bear their skills and knowledge in market-making and addressing market failure, and it should extend to new, emerging digital markets," added the report.
"They will have to identify, adapt and apply the best regulatory practices from around the world in ways that efficiently satisfy consumer and national interests at home." -
Most Popular Stories
- Frightfully Fun Films Return for Halloween
- Would Soccer Be Richer Without Small Clubs?
- Pfizer Approves $11 Billion Buyback Plan
- Cloud Lifts Microsoft's Quarterly Results
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux Set the Date
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Hollywood Eager to Grasp Hispanic Market
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise but Remain Low
- Stocks Continue Strong After Opening Surge
- Teresa Giudice Must Serve Time in Prison