Another eight people were injured and three others trapped in the landslides at quarries on the outskirts of
A landslide also engulfed a vehicle on a road north of the city, but the driver escaped unharmed, rescue workers said.
Authorities closed roads around the capital in case of more landslides, and also shut the
The quake lasted more than 20 seconds and caused panic in
"I was talking on the phone with my daughter and suddenly the line went dead. I thought the house was falling down,"
She said the quake had opened a crack in one wall of her house and caused several plates to fall and break.
Emergency services said the epicenter was near Mitad del Mundo, a tourist attraction at the equator where a monument is being built at the dividing line between the northern and southern hemispheres.
Most Popular Stories
- Bently Creates Alabama Small Business Commission
- California King Fire Roars Out of Control
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Is Alibaba's IPO Price a Fairytale?
- Kardashian: Kanye Never Told Fan in Wheelchair to Stand Up
- SBA Kicks off Hispanic Heritage Month
- CalPERS Pulls Out of Hedge Funds
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006
- U.S. Tobacco Growers Lose Last of Price Supports
- Two-thirds of Hispanics Doubt Media Accuracy