The technology was developed by Dr. Udantha Abeyratne from the
The software uses neural network algorithms, a form of artificial intelligence, to detect the presence of OSA from the analysis of sound characteristics associated with snoring and airway collapse. In clinical studies, the technology has demonstrated the ability to distinguish OSA from snoring with a high degree of accuracy.
OSA is a serious sleep disorder that affects 100 million people worldwide. The global diagnostic market for OSA is more than
“There is an urgent need for a low-cost, accurate and easy-to-use method for identifying people who need treatment,” said
“Our goal is to provide consumer-directed tools that can aid awareness and guide people to treatment,” Thomas added. “We plan to partner with device companies and disease management firms to solve this unmet need.”
Appian Medical will apply the seed funding to validation studies for the neural network algorithm, its initial 510(k) application to the
For more information on Appian Medical, please visit www.AppianMed.com.
About Appian Medical:
Appian Medical is leading the way in the innovation of mobile health technologies to solve the universal need for accessible, accurate and affordable consumer-directed diagnostics. Appian’s first product is a validated tool for the detection of obstructive sleep apnea. The management team has successfully pioneered digital technologies and diagnostic methods to change the management of respiratory and sleep disorders globally. To learn more, please visit www.AppianMed.com.
Thomas has extensive experience in the commercialization of respiratory and sleep testing devices. As former CEO of
Source: Appian Medical
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms