Late-stage testing is usually the final phase of clinical research before a company submits a drug to regulators for approval.
NASH is caused by excessive fat accumulation in the liver. It causes inflammation that can cause scarring that can lead to cirrhosis, liver failure, and death.
That condition remains "possibly the last untapped mega-blockbuster commercial setting" for drugmakers, Citi analyst
The analyst said the latest research update from Intercept led him to raise his probability for OCA's success in treating this condition to 80 percent from 75 percent.
Intercept is focused on developing drugs to treat chronic liver and intestinal diseases. It also plans to seek approval for OCA as a treatment for another chronic liver disease, primary biliary cirrhosis, in
Company shares were up 46 percent, or
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World