The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose 12 points, or 0.6 percent, to 1,943 in midday trading Monday.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 62 points, or 0.4 percent, to 16,615. The Nasdaq composite rose 41 points, or 1 percent, to 4,412.
Bond prices fell. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note rose to 2.43 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays