Agricultural productivity in the country could further be enhanced, thanks to a grant from the Japanese government.
The financing agreement, worth
The funds will support the development of an irrigation scheme in
The fund will also help improve and stabilise agricultural productivity through construction of a water reservoir and irrigation facilities that will enable farmers utilise water more efficiently and promote intensive farming.
"The fund will be used to construct a 14.9-metre dam with a capacity of 960,000m3, irrigation canals and regulating tanks. It will also provide solar panels, pump facilities and provide operational and maintenance of the irrigation facilities among others," Amb. Gatete said during the signing ceremony in
The support, he added, is in line with the second Economic Development and Poverty Reduction Strategy and the country's efforts to develop agriculture sector, which is one of the main drivers of national economic development and poverty reduction.
It will also support efforts to diminish the potential effects of climate change such as change in rainfall patterns.
This will increase productivity in agriculture sector, reduce poverty,
"In addition to this irrigation project, in agriculture sector,
"The project is designed to improve livelihoods of all small holder farmers through various activities. This shows the Japanese continuous support to the government and we intend to continue supporting the country in achieving its economic objectives."
The project is expected to commence by October.
Most Popular Stories
- Paniagua Wins Grand Prize in Young Artists Program
- Yaris Adds French Flair for US Market
- Cable TV Not Going Away, Says Cable TV
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- IBM to Pay Big to Unload Chip Division
- Sub Hunt Brings Cold War Chill Back to Baltic
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- Cowboys Turn Back Clock to Glory Days
- Kerry Cites Moral Need in Weapons Air Drop