William Hill shares were down 2.5% Friday early afternoon, trading at
The company said its pretax profit was
"Positively, this performance reflects good profit growth in the second quarter, with underlying business progress more than offsetting the quarter's year-on-year sports betting margin declines," the company said.
William Hill increased its dividend for the half-year to
The company did not break out second quarter results, but said the football World cup drove trading in the second quarter. William Hill reported a "record-breaking" performance for the tournament with online wagering up 211% on 2010.
William Hill took
The adoption of mobile betting has continued at pace during the quarter, said William Hill, which said that 52% of operating profit came from online and William Hill Australia, and that international markets account for 17% of net revenue.
The move to drive the business further outside the
Back in April, William Hill said it was planning to close 109 loss-making betting shops before the end of the year, in a bid to maintain profits in response to the
William Hill said Friday that it closed 82 shops between July and August.
Newly-appointed Chief Executive
Looking ahead, the company said that it remains confident in its expectations for the full-year, "assuming normalised sporting results."
Most Popular Stories
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Eric Garcia Appointed as Revenue Chief
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls