"The purpose of issuing bonds is to meet the requirements of Basel III, since the central bank needs to accommodate
A long-awaited public debt law, which would be required for any future issuance of federal sovereign bonds, has been stuck in a government consultative process for the past five years. The slow progress has led to repeated calls by the central bank to the government to expedite the law so that domestic lenders can meet forthcoming Basel III liquidity rules, describing it as "a national priority".
Khouri said the ministry was working with the central bank to establish the level of future issuance that would be sustainable.
"It is difficult to determine the date of government bond issuance as studies have not been finalised," Khouri said on the ministry's website.
"It is expected to take place before 2018, because the
Most Popular Stories
- Study: Recessions Can Postpone Motherhood Forever
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- China Approves iPhone 6 After Security Assurances
- U.S. Home Prices Rose at Slowest Pace in 20 Months
- Meet the YouTube Tech Review Sensation
- Who Is Daniel Ivascyn?
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Hispanics Carry Big Clout: Census
- Netflix Eyes Hollywood With Feature Film